Announcement Regarding COVID-19:
Due to growing concerns of COVID-19 and the exposure to people at community and group events, RAFA has decided to postpone the following events and activities until larger health risks caused by this issue are resolved. RAFA is dedicated to reducing risks and keeping our members healthy.
- All RAFA Flute Choirs will be on break until the end of April, pending further Board and flute choir director discernment.
- RAFA Solo/Ensemble Fest (March 28th) is postponed and will be rescheduled if an available, suitable venue is available later this spring.
- Second Winds meeting for March has been cancelled and will be rescheduled once things are back to normal.
- Other RAFA events, such as Members Recital, will be decided upon closer to events to account for current stages and changes.
Durham Flute Choir
Spring 2020 Semester Dates: Jan 5 & 19, Feb 2 & 16, March 8 & 22, April 5 & 19, May 10 & 24
Summer 2020 Session Dates: June 7 & 21, July 5 & 19 and Aug 2 & 16
Contact director Maureen Kelly: email@example.com
All ages welcome–students, adults, and seniors! No audition required. Print Registration Here!
Participation costs $40 per semester, in addition to RAFA membership dues.
Spring 2020 Schedule / Map & Directions
The Silver Winds requires a minimum of two years’ playing experience, but no auditions are necessary.
This is the ideal choir for individuals who are new to the ensemble experience, as well as intermediate and advanced players who wish to play in a flute group but have limited time for rehearsals and individual practice.
No audition required!
*must reach minimum of 5 students.
Emma McCulloch, director: (919) 578-4825 | firstname.lastname@example.org
This group rehearses from 1:15 – 2:15 p.m. on selected Sundays. Check the rehearsal and performance schedule for more details. Participation costs $40 per semester in addition to RAFA dues.
Rehearsals begin on Jan. 5 at 2:30pm; Auditions Jan. 5 by appointment only
- Scale sheet: Chromatic scale should be slurred. All other scales should be able to be played tongued or slurred. (D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, all 2 octaves)
- Required Piece (click for link to PDF download, see last 2 pages for flute part): Gaubert Madrigal
- There will be a short sight reading piece at your audition as well.
Contact director Andrea McKerlie Luke:
(919) 492-5489 | email@example.com
This group rehearses from 2:30 -4:00 p.m. on selected Sundays. Check the rehearsal and performance schedule for more details. Participation costs $40 per semester in addition to RAFA dues.
Audition Requirements | Click to download audition packet
2020 Rehearsals begin Jan. 12 at 4:15pm; Auditions Jan. 5 by appointment only
- Scale sheet: Chromatic scale should be played slurred. All other scales should be able to be played tongued or slurred. (G, D, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db)
- Required pieces: Bouree Anglaise from Bach Partita in A Minor and Bizet Carmen Entr’acte (measures 3-23), with no accompaniment.
- There will also be a short sight-reading piece at your audition
The director will be assessing tone quality, rhythmic and technical accuracy, intonation, range of dynamics, clarity of articulation, and musical expression.
You must schedule an audition time in advance.
Contact Rebecca Rogers, director:
(603) 277-0633 | firstname.lastname@example.org
This group rehearses from 4:15-6:00 p.m. on Sundays, with one Sunday off per month. Check the rehearsal and performance schedule for more details. Participation costs $40 per semester in addition to RAFA dues.
Flute Cocktail (Chapel Hill)
Contact director for directions and schedule.
Alma Coefman, director: (919) 619-9971
This is a beginner/intermediate flute choir. Based in Chapel Hill, this ensemble plays a cocktail’s variety of fun and colorful music, including pieces from South America. The ensemble sometimes expands its repertoire by incorporating additional instruments, such as cello and guitar.
Participation in this ensemble is $40, in addition to RAFA membership dues. Please contact director Alma Coefman for information about joining the ensemble.
The Second Winds
Becky Millard, Coordinator (919) 244-6078
The Second Winds group, made up of adult amateur flutists, began meeting some years ago for the purpose of providing one another with support and encouragement in managing and overcoming a shared focus: performance anxiety. Today the group continues to support performance anxiety; however, one does not have to have that issue to participate. All are welcome. The fellowship of the group and playing group ensembles is equally important to membership. Ranging in age from the late teens to the seventies and in flute-playing ability from beginning to advanced, Second Winds players meet every other month. The group does not function as a flute choir, but rather interested players prepare solos or duets and play for each other. (Participation is included with your RAFA membership fees.)
Contact coordinator for directions, meeting dates, and more.
Becky Millard (919) 244-6078 | email@example.com